Friday, October 16, 2009

update!


our new house we will be moving into. it is a "cozy" cottage.

main street in the bountious city of green river

the "beloved" watermelon

eric's office...it is really close to our house

well, i guess it has been a long while since i updated. i haven't even really noticed that it has been so long! we are doing good. eric is liking his job--ALOT, and i am still adjusting to living here, but i absolutely love the people here. it is such a different feeling to be in a small town because everybody waves at you and they are all so friendly! we have decided to move to another house. it is half the rent we are paying now, but it is like three times smaller, maybe more! haha! we are painting and fixing it up (i will post pictures later) and we will be in by November 7.

even though it is majorly small, it will be nice to move there. this house that we are living in right now is hard to adjust to, not only because there is carpet in the bathroom (gross), but also because the main source of heat is a wood-burnig stove. i am not used to it at all. it really is like an artform to get it going and keep it going! it is also like having a campfire in your living room, well it smells like that anyway. not that the smell is bad, just that having that smell all the time when you're not camping is bad. plus, this house is really old, so it is drafty and cold and hard to keep warm. also, we have this mouse in our kitchen. we have been trying to kill it for three days now. eric has encountered it twice now, and last night it ran and went in the hole on our oven stovetop. GROSS!! mice are so germy and sick. there is mouse poop all over too. we can't catch the dang thing! we put mouse traps out and each morning the food is gone, but there is no mouse. we even smushed peanut butter into the tray thing and it was LICKED clean. we also see at least one cockroach everyday. do you think a cockroach could be eating the food off the trap too? when bennett sees cockroaches he says ''eww,eww"! it is funny!

i really am not trying to complain, i know it probably sounds like that. i do like it here and we have already had some good experiences. it really is nice to have a slow-paced lifestyle. if any of you would like to experiece that kindof lifestyle, just move here, and be by us! i was thinking today, i knew nothing about green river, or even knew it existed, even though i have lived in utah all of my life. i have to ask all of you from utah, have you ever heard of Ferron, Castledale, Sunnyside, Thompson, or Cisco? these are the surrounding cities by green river. I had NEVER heard of them before moving here. It is strange how we really don't know that much, even about our own state.

it's hard to imagine green river, unless you have been here. it only has a population of about 800 and it is kindof like the city in the movie Cars. everything is shut down and out of business. we don't even have one stoplight! we only have one grocery store called "the Melon Vine", four fast-food restaurants, and three sit-down restaurants, one church, one museum, some motels, and a river. there really just isn't a whole lot here. strangely though, it is a place that grows on you.

6 comments:

kami said...

i would be moving too! i am excited to see your improvements in the house. and i am glad you are liking it there. it sounds like a good experience! and i'm glad eric likes his job.

i am glad for you that bennett recognizes that the cockroaches are "eww..." i think max would probably just try to pick them up and eat them!!

AE Simon said...

You are so cute Janica. I love reading all of your updates. My uncle and his family live in Orangeville and if I remember right it is way close to Castledale. When I was young we would go down and visit them and it must have been the only thing to do was go camping:) They didn't have a stop light either. I guess Eric can never pull anyone over for running a red light:)

I'm excited to see all of your updated pictures of your cottage and your adorable little boy

Tony said...

Cool place sis! I know of castledale (shawn bradley is from there) and sunnyside because it is a funny name and every time I'd pass it I'd think that it would a great place to live (ok, not really but I always noticed it when I drove by). The cockroach sounds like a better theory than the mouse not getting hit by the trap. You should put out some glue traps and then you might know.

Derk and Ashley said...

Oh my gosh Janica! You are quite the "trooper" no pun intended!! I have heard of Castledale, but that's it! Your house is adorable though and I know you will make it look so cute and home-y.

Davis Family said...

I know where Green River is and I'm not from Utah! Actually, I would pass by it on my home to Arizona from Provo. I don't think I have ever been in the town, but I love small towns in general. It is always hard to adjust to a new place, but it makes it easier when everyone is friendly. I am glad to hear that everything is going well and that you will be moving (I would too!). Good luck!

Travis said...

Love the house! That would be sweet to live in a little town! Tell Eric hey for me!